Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Getting To Know

February 9, 2011
Wednesday, 4:30 PM
As I arrive home from my day of teaching, I have this continuing thought…the career of teaching is underestimated.
It was a cold day and the students seemed to be a little more anxious for a typical day. Now, this is not my first time in this classroom with the intentions to assist some students in their mathematical learning but it was my first time in trying to infuse technology into the classroom. I’m all about nonconventional teaching to reach children in different manners but just like conventional instructions it has its obstacles.
As I began to start my role as the “teacher”, the students begin to ask me several questions on what was in store for them. I inform the students that we will be using “clickers” to work on their math lesson. I began to peak their interest as I continue my explanation on today’s lesson. Today, class we will be using “clickers”. I will pull up fractions on the computer and they will display on the television screen. I want to use your “clickers” to point and then click on what you feel is the correct answer.  I begin to hand out this “clickers” but I am a little thrown off on how why there were so many students in the classroom.  However, the kids know exactly what to do with the “clicker” and cannot wait to use the “clicker” which resembles a small television remote.
The math activity for the day consisted of the two classrooms, (so that was about thirty students with these “clickers”) individually solving word problems that focused on understanding adding fractions. Once the child believed they found the correct answer they would click their “clickers” at the receiver and the number of their “clicker” would display on the television reflecting if the answer was correct or incorrect. Yes, it sounds simple enough, but not when eight and nine year olds are together in a close setting.
The two children I tutor were having a difficult time following directions for the day. They could not focus on the point of the lesson. They both gave up at different times. The first “breakdown” happens with, we’ll call him “Dallas”, he began to cry after I asked him to explain his work, which I ignored, and then shortly thereafter he was ready to focus on the problem and not just the “clicker” or the calculator. Once the “episode” was over he really started to focus on actually trying to solve the problems and not just be the first student to use his or her “clicker”. The second and longest “breakdown” happens with the student “Lamont” because he could not figure out the solution to the problems on his own. “Lamont” refused to ask for any help and completely gave up. He is a smart child he will let his attitude hinder him in his own success. Both children have a very hard time understanding the fraction concepts and the comprehension of word problems.  Becoming familiar with math facts is a major issue with our children and now I understand why we the need for teachers in this area is so great.

1 comment:

  1. Your use of the clickers in your math class is inspiring. I look forward to hearing more about your experiences and uses of technology in your math classes.

    ReplyDelete